I left DFW on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 on AA #1874. I must have done something for which I needed to be punished, as my seat was 27B - the very last seat on the plane on the right side looking to the rear - even behind the galley. A man was right in front of me, heading for his seat - which happened to be 27A. He asked the Flight Attendant if he could move if the plane wasn't full. I offered to take the window seat as he was tall and was looking for more room. The window seat had a spectacular view of the engine and nothing else.
Maybe I was being punished but Ray Hood [my rowmate] wasn't. The flight was not full; in fact, there were five rows on the opposite side that were completely unoccupied. We moved! Ray Hood, it turns out, was going to NYC to ride on the Intrepid which was being taken back to its berth on the Hudson. He served on and retired from the Intrepid and he and 50 of his shipmates were taking this trip. What an honor. Very nice man. Also turned out that he worked at Express One and knows Kevin Goode.
Vicki was waiting at the gait when I arrived and we had just a few minutes to wait for my one checked bag. She started pulling my small carryon and laptop; I pulled the one checked bag [thank God for wheels]. Things got interesting half way to her car. My bag started scraping and was very hard to pull; however, it was too heavy for me to carry, so I continued pulling. Two of the wheels then fell off! The two other wheels were just about non-existent. I stopped and looked it over and found that it appeard Jack The Ripper had attacked it. There were two 4-inch long gouges and the handle was held on by only one screw. Vicki and I were in no state to pick this sucker up and carry it, so she went to get her car. When she arrived a very nice young man offered to help - when he did, the handle fell off completely. He was shocked but we told him AA had done it. We got home and I actually unpacked on Vicki's front porch. My legs should be in better shape as the bedrooms are upstairs. Here is my lovely ex-bag.
No, I didn't go back into the terminal to let AA know. After all, I bought the luggage in 1977 so I feel as if I got my money's worth.
In any case, this is Vicki's home and she's letting me stay here, so it will be my home for a month. However, in payment for my room and board, I must assist with a huge garage sale she and a few of her friends are having on Saturday.
We spent some time today getting some things together for the sale. I told her she would never have to work again if everything sold! She has a 2-car detached garage FULL of stuff, plus 3/4 of her basement, plus several things in her dining room, living room and porch. Don't worry, I'll take lots of pictures. [;-}
In mid-afternoon, we gave up and decided to get some groceries, etc. Vicki shops at a very nice store and it's close to her home. Here it is:
We then headed over to Costco where I bought new luggage - RED. I remember several years ago, Steve [my son] had his luggage attacked and we made a trip to the same Costco.
Vicki is off to school tonight. She's studying for her Human Resources certification. So, I'll chill and take in the vice presidential debate.
Stay tuned for more excitement from Hackensack, NJ!!!

2 comments:
So, as you were chilling and watching the debate, who do ya think won? Do ya also have to cook for your room and board? What was dinner?
I certainly DO have to cook. In fact, today I made a huge pot of vegetable soup which was inhaled by all.
Post a Comment