Friday, August 14, 2009

August 14, 2009

The Quail: A Motorsport Gathering. If you say it aloud, affect a British accent. Too much! We've been several times, but I hope this was the last. 2006 was the last time we were there and things have changed. I didn't take one picture while we were there. Sure, there were some really nice cars but nothing I hadn't seen before.

There were five or six food 'stations' positioned around the area. The best was the French with the California a very close runner up. The salads were so fresh and delish. There were several vineyards pouring their wares but I only tried one and can't even remember the name - that's how memorable the wine was. We left around 2 and then headed over to Monterey.

One of the many car auctions this week is the RM. It was interesting but not real. Car sellers can't get the prices they want and buyers don't want to let loose of their money. Can't blame them.

So, we walked over to the wharf and had dinner at Domenico's, one of our favorite places. The almond crusted halibut was great but huge. No way I could eat it all, but I tried. Here's the view from our table.

The weather today was terrific and the ash from the Santa Cruz fire wasn't falling on the cars as it was yesterday. When we left yesterday morning, our car had quite a layer of ash and we didn't know where it came from. We thought the fireplaces had been cleaned and blew out on the cars. Then, we found out about the Santa Cruz fire which started Wednesday and as of 4:30 pm Thursday, was zero percent contained. 2500 people had been evacuated and more were expected. I've not seen or heard a newscast today so am not sure how it's doing. The sunset tonight was brilliant which indicated smoke in the atmosphere, we're told.

Tomorrow, Laguna Seca for the Historic Car Races.

Now, bedtime!

xo

No comments: