Saturday, December 27, 2008

Post Christmas 2008

I sure hate to post without a photograph but here I go.

Christmas has come and gone. Christmas Eve is when Jay, Steve and I got together. We had a wonderful [if I may say so myself] meal of chateaubriand, twice baked potatoes and broccoli after a lively appetizer of shrimp cocktail. Jay handled the dessert of CC Brown's Hot Fudge Sundae. I'd been baking all day and when I picked up my KitchenAid Mixer, I felt a little twinge in my lower back. Wine and champagne seemed to alleviate pain on the Eve, but on the Day and day after, I took to the heating pad and meds. Watched a couple of movies and nodded most of those days.

Alas, the dawn broke on this fine day with just a little pain. To celebrate, Jay took me to Grand Lux for brunch. I had a terribly mediocre Eggs Benedict. What a shame! Cafe Eden serves such a wonderful brunch but not on Saturday. I don't think I'll be recommending Grand Lux for brunch any longer. Denney's is better for breakfast and one doesn't have to put up with an overaged, overly energetic and loud talking server who thinks she's 25!!! Oh, yeah, our wait person was a pain at Grand Lux and we've had her before and have been known to leave. She also has a loud screechy mid-western accent as well. Maybe that's why the Eggs Benedict were not good.

I hated the back issue. Danielle and I had planned on lunch at Loft 610 and a movie on Friday but I was afraid I'd get physically stuck. We're going to try again next week. No more baking for me unless Jay gets the mixer up.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. More soon - with photographs - I promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are twice baked potatoes? Is that like refried beans that really aren't refried?

Sharon Liser said...

Actually, true refried beans are just that - refried beans. Beans that a cooked and then fried in vegetable oil. The Original Mexican Restaurant in Fort Worth has the best and most authentic refried beans around. Fabulous food.

So, twice baked potatoes are just that: baked potatoes which have been taken our of their skins, roughly "mashed" with the addition of whatever you want - I did heavy cream, cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, and snipped chives. Then returned to the skins and baked again. And hence, the name: twice baked potatoes. That's that.

Anonymous said...

I can see why there is confusion. I looked up refried beans awhile back and came up with the following:

By the way, Diana Kennedy, an authority on Mexican cooking, has cleared up the mystery of why these are called refried beans, when they are clearly fried only once. In Mexico it is common, she says, to use the prefix "re" for emphasis, so the name frijoles refritos refers to beans that are well fried, not twice fried. In fact, in her recipe in The Cuisines of Mexico (Canada, UK), the beans are fried until they begin to dry out and pull away from the edges of the pan. Then as a mass, they are rolled up and tipped out of the pan like an omelet, garnished with cheese, lettuce and radishes, and served with tortilla chips.

http://www.ochef.com/279.htm

And:

"Refried" is actually a misnomer. In this instance, refritos means "well fried", not "refried", though you can certainly reheat the beans as you go through a batch.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001606refried_beans.php