Friday, December 19, 2008

Nearly Christmas 2008


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All.

Not too much has been happening. Last Sunday, December 14th, four-fifths of the Baguettes had brunch at Eden on Lovers Lane in Dallas. WOW. It was terrific. Danielle had been there before but not for brunch. It's been hyped as having the best brunch menu in Dallas - YES IT DOES. Three of us had the Eggs Benedict [awfully terrific] and one had a made-to-order omelet [she said it was FAB]. The food was perfectly prepared and our server, Cameron, was absolutely THE BEST. It's a BYOB establishment and that's definitely NOT a problem. We will definitely return.

On Friday, the 19th, I had lunch with my former boss, Monica Velazquez, at Loft 610 in Plano, right on the Frisco border. Monica had been there before and really liked it. She knows her stuff - it was terrific. I had a smoked turkey reuben which was wonderful. The side was a mix of regular and sweet potato french fries - great. The only addition I can think of is to add an aioli dipping sauce for the fries. The Alchemist in Waterbury Center, Vermont ranks high on the dipping sauces. [Thanks to Steve, my son. He's younger and has a better memory and has also been to the Alchemist more than I.] The Executive Operating Partner, Chad Holland [originally frolm Upsate New York] gifted us with a dessert of white chocolate bread pudding which was pretty darn fantabulous. They're not open for lunch/brunch on weekends but definitely deserve a visit.

Tomorrow will be devoted to cookie baking - oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies. I've already got a batch of burbon balls in the refrigerator [which are ripe and ready].

Oh, and last Sunday, I saw MILK and can't recommend it highly enough. Sean Penn BECAME Harvey Milk. Emile Hirsch was superb and Josh Brolin was the evil Dan White. Terrific film

Saw The Dark Knight the other night - 3/4ths of it was wonderful but it appears they just didn't know how to pull it all together at the end. Heath Ledger was a huge loss and will be missed. He was a wonderful Joker.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see Austrailia. I've heard it's not all that spectacular but I truly want to see it anyway.

I have 30 pages of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle to finish. I could have finished it last night but am so afraid Edgar's going to die and I don't want him to. Probably one of the most beatifully written novels I've ever read.

So, stop by in the next few days for fresh Christmas cookies and perhaps a glass of the nog or the grape.

In any case, have a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Holidays.

Peace and Love to All.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the Giuseffi's would love some cookies. Your sister too. Then again, from what I understand, desserts are pretty much covered.
Well, maybe next time you visit.